St John's Walworth CE Primary School

St John's Walworth CE Primary School

At the vibrant heart of the community

Special Needs Information Report


St John’s Walworth CE Primary School


What kinds of SEND does St John’s Walworth cater for?

St John’s Walworth is a Christian school. We have been commended for 'The strong, inclusive nature of the school that values all pupils and their families in a warm, safe and welcoming environment firmly rooted in its Christian values.' (Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools inspection report November 2014). We have catered successfully for children with a range of needs in the past and will continue to do so in the future, taking Christ as our example. We have taught and cared for many special needs children including:

  • Pupils who have been diagnosed as having an autism spectrum disorder
  • Pupils who have dyslexia
  • Pupils who need wheelchair access
  • Pupils who are mobile but have had severe physical and learning disabilities
  • Pupils who are partially sighted
  • Pupils who have language delay

This is not an exhaustive list. However, we cannot stress strongly enough that parents/carers who wish to apply for a place at St John’s Walworth for their SEND child should make every effort to visit the school as we are on a very restricted site, with very small classrooms and no special units. There have been several occasions where, working together with parents/carers and the school we have supported in getting a child transferred to an appropriate special school which can cater better for their needs in terms of equipment, play space, and specialist interventions.

What arrangements does the school have for the admission of disabled persons as pupils at the school?

Reception Class: All pupils are subject to the statutory requirements for admissions arrangements when joining the school in Reception class, and the schools’ admissions committee offer places based upon the admissions criteria available on the school website. At the point of offer any special needs are not known to the panel. If the school is named on a child’s Education and Health Care Plan it would be expected that this has been as a result of liaison between the school and parent/carer (and in some cases the pupil where they are able to communicate) to discuss how the suitability of the school to cater for the child’s needs within the limitations of our facilities as described above.

Admissions at times other than into Reception Class: The school keeps a waiting list which is updated termly. The admissions criteria is strictly adhered to, and pupils on the list are ranked according to this. Parents/carers seeking admission for a child with an Education and Health care plan at a time other than in Reception Class will have the school named on the plan, and the school will consider admission according to ability to cater for the needs as described in the plan, and vacancies within an appropriate phase, in partnership with the parents/carers and the local authority special needs department.


Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?

The Assistant Head / SEND Coordinator (SENDCo)
Responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

The SEND Coordinator is currently Miss E. Pattapola. To make contact see the ‘Contact Us’ tab on the website.


Class teacher
Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SEND Coordinator know as necessary.
  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • He will give responsibility to the SENDCo and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • He must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

SEN Governor
Responsible for:

  • Monitoring the support made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.


What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in St John’s Walworth?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based around building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical activities.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo or staff from outside agencies such as the health authority) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Specific group work with in a smaller group of children. 
These groups, often called Intervention groups by schools, may be

  • Run in the classroom or outside, including our Pupil Development Centre
  • Run by a teacher, a teaching assistant, a learning support assistant or a learning mentor who has had training to run these groups.



Specialist interventions run by outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language therapy or Occupational therapy.

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENDCo or parent/carer in partnership with the school as needing more specialist input instead of, or in addition to, quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your  child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them
    • Support to set targets which will include their specific expertise
    • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a speech and language group
    • Group or individual work with the ‘outside’ professional

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Specified Individual support through an Education, Health and Care Plan (From 1st September 2014) or an existing statement.

This means your child has been identified as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group support through following a statutory process.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from an outside specialist professional or team. This may be from:

  • The Local Authority
  • The local Health Care Trust
  • Private providers
  • Charities

This type of support is available for children whose needs are:

  • Severe, complex and lifelong
  • Low frequency but high needs



How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

 If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

  • If you still have concerns regarding the child’s needs being met can speak to the SENDCo. It is best to make an appointment at the school office.
  • Occasionally a parent/carer may want to talk to the headteacher after having had discussions with the class teacher and SENDCo. Again it is best to make an appointment through the school office.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is not making good progress or has issues in school relating to an illness or disability the school will arrange a meeting to discuss this with you in detail, and also…

  •  listen to any concerns you may have
  •  plan next steps with regard to support your child may receive
  •  discuss with you any possible referrals to outside professionals to support your child if appropriate

How is extra support allocated?

The school budget, received from Southwark LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

  • The Governors decide the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities following advice from the headteacher, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the SENDCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:
    • the children receiving extra support already
    • the children who may need extra support
    • the children who have been identified as not making good progress
    • The children who have physical needs as a result of illness or a disability

These discussions form the basis of recommendations to the governing body.

  • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed to maximise impact.

Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEN in this school?

Directly funded by the school:

  • Release of SENDCo from full time class teaching responsibility
  • One Learning Mentor
  • One Home School Liaison Officer
  • Speech and Language Therapy paid for from the local health trust
  • The M.O.T. Club (My Own Time Club to improve concentration through movement)

Paid for by the La or Health Care Trust but delivered in school:

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Educational Welfare
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy

How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training do they have?

The SENDCo supports the class teachers in planning for children with SEND.

  • The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all children in their class, and will ensure that each child’s needs are met.

  • Learning support staff adapt the teachers’ planning to support the needs of an individual child or group where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies are used to support children individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching is adapted to meet a child’s needs following discussions with the parent/carer, SENDCo and pupil (if possible).
  • Children are supported in a number ways in test and assessment situations, including by having one to one support, a scribe provided, technology made available, withdrawal to an isolated area with adult support, modified test materials.
  • See for a full range of allowable support.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every half term.
  • Children in Year 1 and above, who are not ready to work within the National Curriculum are assessed against ‘P levels’ which show small but significant steps of progress.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS) in Y6 and Teacher Assessment (Years and Year 6). Parents are informed of their child’s performance in these tests/assessments. Y1 parents are told whether their child has passed or failed the phonics reading test carried out each June.
  • Children with Statements or EHC Plans have Individual education plans with targets assessed and modified regularly. This process includes the parent/carer and child. Children are involved in setting targets for themselves regularly with regards to their learning and learning behaviours. These are clearly displayed in classrooms. Children are encouraged to review their progress towards their targets so that they can make informed contributions towards what their next targets should be. Where we have had pupils who are not able to communicate effectively because of their special need the school and parents/carers work in the best interests of that child taking into account any specialist support and advice from outside agencies.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education and care.
  • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

What support do we have for you as a parent/carer of a child with SEND?

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The SENDCo is available to meet you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have. Appointments can be made through the school office.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you, sometimes with the professional present. If they are not present a written or verbal report will be provided.
  • IEP’s will be regularly reviewed and you will be informed of their content.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

How is St John’s Walworth accessible to children with SEND- the governor’s Accessibility Plan?

The school has an accessibility plan that is reviewed by the governors. The building is accessible to children with a physical disability, except for the two upstairs temporary rooms in the school playground, one of which is currently used for teaching small groups and the other is the music room.

  • There is a disabled platform (lift) to the first floor of the main building.
  • Toilets are accessible and a specially equipped disable toilet is available
  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.
  • SEND are not excluded from any activity unless medical services direct us to do so. We would normally expect the parent to provide evidence of the need to exclude a child from any activity, i.e. a letter from the family G.P.

Future plans include a hearing loop system to be installed, and some areas of lighting (which currently comply with legal requirements but are not bright enough for the partially sighted) to be enhanced.

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school, OR moving on to another class, OR joining Reception Class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

  • If your child is moving to another school:
    • We will contact the school SENDCo and ensure s/he knows about any special arrangements or support needed.
    • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on.
  • When moving classes in school:
    • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All IEPs will be shared with the new teacher.
  • In Year 6:
    • The SENDCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of their secondary school, and when possible will arrange for the child to visit the school with their support worker or other member of staff.
    • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
    • A representative of the new school will be invited to any annual reviews held in Year 6
  • Joining the school in Reception Class:
    • We do not have a nursery so 30 children join Reception Class each year from as many as 22 different settings
    • The school does all it can to liaise with these settings, but many of them pass records on to parents/carers which they should than pass on to the school
    • Parents/carers of SEND children have a series of meetings with the SENDCo and, if needed, the head, before admission
    • Arrangements are put in place for support of needed
    • Induction times are arranged for the child to visit and join in at the school
    • Outside support agencies are alerted as to the placement of the child so that support plans can begin before admission.

How will we support the emotional and social development of your child?

Whilst it is obviously the responsibility of all staff in the school to care for the emotional and social development of all pupils we also offer our Pupil Development Centre (PDC) activities for children who have appropriate needs. The PDC is a room dedicated to for the support of pupils, and is managed by the SENDCo and supported by our Learning Mentor

Activities include:

  • Circle Time
  • One to one counselling
  • Language/communication groups
  • Social games
  • Responding to crises (i.e. a bereavement, family break up, etc.)
  • Reflection time
  • Behaviour support programmes
  • Anti-bullying programmes

In addition we have worked with Kidscape to run a programme of anti-bullying lessons in classes.

All relevant policies are on the school website.

How can I complain if I am not happy about the provision for my SENDCo child in school?

The school complaints policy is published in the school prospectus available in school or online. Initially any discussion should be held with the class teacher. If needed the SENDCo will also meet the parent/carer. Any unresolved issues can be referred to the headteacher, and if there are still unresolved issues an approach can be made to the school governors by contact through the school office.

Where can I find further support or information?

Southwark Local Authority provides full information and support around its local offer and attached services. See their website:

Telephone 020 7 525 5000

The Southwark Information Advice and Support team (SIAS – formerly known as Parent Partnership) offers parents impartial support, training and advice on such topics as: Special Educational Needs; transition to secondary school; how to request an Education Health Care plan; understanding tribunals and SEND exclusions. Telephone: 0207 525 3104

KIDS London SEN Mediation Service is an independent disagreement resolution service that provides mediation meetings for parents of children with Special Educational Needs and their local education authority or the child’s school when there is some kind of disagreement surrounding how best to meet those needs. Mediation is an informal, voluntary process where parties in disagreement meet together with an independent mediator.

Telephone: 0207 359 3635

Contact a Family provide services to any family regardless of the type of the child’s disability as long as they live in Southwark. Services include: drop in service at Sunshine House and selected children centres; phone advice 5 days per week between 9.00 am and 5.00pm; Helpline advice on specialist topics: education, welfare and benefits, housing; casework support to individual families; DLA workshops at Sunshine House; family-focused social events; coffee mornings and afternoons; quarterly newsletter and monthly email

Telephone 020 7358 7799

ADDISS, The National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service. Provides information and resources about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder to parents, sufferers, teachers or health professionals.

Telephone: 02089522800

The ADHD Foundation supports achievement, educational attainment, mental health and employability. The Foundation works in partnership with those living with ADHD, enabling them understand and manage ADHD.

Telephone: 01512372661

Southwark Autism Support is a project set up by The National Autistic Society to provide information, advice and support to the parents and carers of children and young people with an autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) living in Southwark. The service provides advice, information and suggestions to help with the behavioural, emotional and practical challenges that living with a child or young person with an ASD can present.

Telephone: 020 7771 3491


Scope is a national disability organisation whose focus is people with cerebral palsy, offering early years, education, and independent living and employment opportunities for disabled people.

Telephone: 08088003333


Small Steps provide a supportive environment for parents of children with Cerebral Palsy and other forms of motor and sensory impairment. Parents are able to meet others sharing similar experiences, and can attend workshops that inform parents, giving them a platform for discussion and to socialise.

Telephone: 0208704 5935


Down's South London (DSL), is a parent run charity based in Peckham that provides a free, unique early intervention therapy service to local children with Down's Syndrome.

Telephone: 020 7701 9521 Email:

Down’s Syndrome Association (National) offers information and support on all aspects of Down’s Syndrome.

Telephone: 03331212300

Dyslexia Association of London offers support and information to parents, teachers and adults on dyslexia/specific learning difficulties. It also offers a befriending service.

Telephone: 020 8870 1407

Dyspraxia Foundation is for parents of a child with dyspraxia who want to talk with other parents/carers in the same position.

Telephone: 01462454986


The National Deaf Children’s Society (NDCS) is a charity dedicated to creating a world without barriers for deaf children and young people, believing that deaf children can do anything other children can do, given early diagnosis and the right support from the start, as well as involving them in decisions that affect them at as early an age as possible.

Telephone: 08088008880


Resources for Autism provides a range of support services for both children/young people and their families including autism specific home/community support for all ages and autism specific parent/carer groups. They also offer autism specific play and youth clubs and holiday play schemes for children and young people aged 8-19 years old.

Telephone: 020 8458 3259


Royal London Society for the Blind (RLSB) supports blind young people & kids to live life without limits.

Telephone: 01732592500


Young Minds provides information and support for anyone worried about a child or young person’s behaviour and mental health, providing information about the symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of common mental health and behaviour concerns, especially for parents and carers.

Telephone: 08088025544


Council for Disabled Children (CDC) aims to make a difference to the lives of disabled children and children with special educational needs, by influencing Government policy, working with local agencies to translate policy into practice and producing guidance on issues affecting the lives of disabled children.

Telephone: 02078431900


Southwark Carers an independent charity with over 5,000 carers currently registered, they provide information, advice and support to carers across Southwark.

Telephone: 02077084497


Southwark Parent Carer Council (PCC) a group of parent carer volunteers, who are working to achieve excellent local services for disabled children/young people aged 0-25 and their families.

By working with partners in Education, Health and Social Care, to make sure all parent carers and young people have a voice - and have a say in the development and provision of our services.

They are the parent carer forum for Southwark, part of the National Network of Parent Carer Forums (NNPCF).

Telephone: 02075251106 or 07944107019


Southwark Young Carers Project: A young carer is anyone aged 18 or under who helps to look after a relative who has a disability, illness, mental health condition, or drug or alcohol problem.

Telephone: 02077036400

Southwark Siblings for those living in Southwark, aged between 6 and 14, who help look after a brother or sister with a disability, giving them a chance to meet other siblings, make friends and share experiences, the chance to have fun and take part in activities through attending small groups and ongoing regular meetings outside the family home, also a regular newsletter.

Telephone: 02077012826 Information:

Family Action ADHD Specialist Service A project offering home visiting, telephone support and an 8-week “Managing ADHD Group” programme to support the families of children aged between 5 and 12 who have been diagnosed with ADHD; detailed information pack (provided on the home visit), offering further information about the diagnosis, some useful resources and explaining all the services available including Southwark specific services and online resources. Referrals come from any statutory or voluntary agency or self-referral. It is a free and confidential service.

Telephone 07923103243

To see Southwark Children's Services Local Offer click on this link...